Anna Pottery
Doulton-Lambeth, Englnd
Erdmann Schlegelmilch Suhl, Thuringia, Germany
Goebel [W. Goebel Rodental, Bavaria, Germany]
Hertwig & Co. Katzhutte, Thuringia, Germany
Hutchenreuther,  Selb, Bavaria, Germany
Ruckforth Brewery was located in Szczecin, Poland

The Szczecin Distillery “Polmos”, S.A. [Joint Stock Company]
Their bottles were made by the Ulmer Ceramics Co. of Germany.
Neu-Ulm (Bavaria) is situated near Ulm (Baden-Wuerttemberg, famous old town
with 'Ulmer Muenster, worlds highest church building ..)
The Distillery of Szczecin is located at Jagiellońska Str. 63/64, was constructed in the years1862-63, as
the Victoria Brewery. The Brewery has been developed since the very beginning. In 1917, the Brewery
stopped its activity. In the years 1922-1924, an adaptation of the Brewery into the distillery took place by
the C.W. Kemp - an old firm from Szczecin acting as a part of the Ruckforth concern which embraced the
fermentation, brewing and spirit production industries of the Pomerania and Brandenburgia territories.
It was in January 1946 when the plant was formally taken over by the State Monopoly of the Spirit
Industry. The buildings of the Distillery had not been destroyed during the warfare. However, facilities
and technological archives had been taken away. Never the less, it was in March 1946 when the
production was started making use of two production tables. The production was developing rapidly
and there was more and more new bottling tables and their technical level was typical for that before
the year 1939. Already 300 persons were than employed.
In the year 1964, automation of production processes were initiated. There were 4 production lines
installed and they were systematically modernized.
The second stage of development and modernization of the machinery equipment was done in the
second half of the 70‘s. The technology of vodkas was developing then, simultaneously with the
production technology. Apart from popular vodkas production and, majority of known Polish vodkas like
wyborowa vodka, rye vodka, bison grass vodka, soplica sorb brandy, club vodka, cherry vodka etc., a
number of elaboration of new products, representing the highest quality level, was appearing. The
distillery specialized in the production of natural vodkas which required many years of cellar treatment,
like starka, brandies, whisky, plum vodka. Calvados type vodkas.
The highest production level - over 12 million litres of 100% alcohol yearly (60 million bottles of vodka) -
was reached by the Distillery in the middle of the 70’s.
Their product line was as big as 80 different kinds of alcoholic products.
Starting from January 1, 1964, the Distillery has taken over the biggest
production establishment of fodder yeast in the Country, at the Kolumba Str. 60 in Szczecin and
changed its name to: the Spirit and Yeast Production Plant in Szczecin.
However, it was in 1982 when the plant was subject to be liquidated due to environmental protection
requirements. In 1992, the liquidation of the National Enterprise of the Spirit Industry "Polmos" was
carried out and the Distillery became an independent plant since then.
In November 1998, the Distillery was transformed into the Joint Stock Company with 100% share of the
State Treasury. Now, the Company is in the course of privatisation processes.

Ulmer Ceramics Co. of Bavaria
Neu-Ulm (Bavaria) is situated near Ulm (Baden-Wuerttemberg, famous old town
with 'Ulmer Muenster, worlds highest church building ..)
Click on images to enlarge
Frederick Burr Opper

Happy Hooligan Nip490

Frederick Burr Opper 1857-1937, American illustrator and cartoonist were born in Madison, Ohio. His early
work consisted of humorous cartoons published in Frank Leslie’s Magazine and in Puck, on whose art
staff he was a member for 18 years. In 1896, however, Opper transferred to the New York Journal and
begins to concentrate on political caricature, becoming, with Homer C. Davenport, a leader in the
agitation against the trusts. He became most famous with his comic strip, Happy Hooligan, the best jokes
of which were published in book form as Happy Hooligan Home gain [1907]. Alphonse and Gaston [1902]
was a collection of cartoons concerning another two of Opper’s well-known comic characters. As an
illustrator, Opper executed drawings for Mark Twain’s Editorial Wild Oats [1905], and Bill Nye’s Comic
History of the United States  [1894].
In 1900, Hearst introduced the slapstick antics of Frederick Opper's Happy Hooligan,

Compliments of The Old Crow Zappettini Bros. Prop. Redding Cal.
The Ragtime dance called the Grizzly Bear inspired this Nipper. Irving Berlin wrote the song in 1912.
Later it was made popular by Sophie Tucker and George Burns.
Harold (Clayton) Lloyd

Lloyd, Harold (Clayton) (1893-1971), American motion-picture actor, one of the leading performers of the
golden age of comedy. Lloyd made nearly 500 films, both silent and sound, all of them comedies and all of
them featuring extended chase sequences with daredevil physical feats.

Lloyd was born in Burchard, Nebraska, and started acting in one-reel film comedies in 1912 in San Diego,
California. In 1917 Lloyd (in conjunction with his producer and director, Hal Roach) invented his familiar
characterization of the bespectacled, bumbling optimist, and in 1921 he played this role in his first
feature-length film, A Sailor-Made Man. Lloyd's best-known films include Safety Last (1923), Why Worry
(1923), Girl Shy (1924), The Freshman (1925), For Heaven's Sake (1926), The Kid Brother (1927), Feet First
(1931), Movie Crazy (1932), The Cat's Paw (1934), and The Milky Way (1936).

By the 1940s Lloyd was no longer active in the film industry, but in 1947 director Preston Sturges lured
him out of retirement for a film intended to explore the later life of Lloyd's innocent optimist character of
the 1920s (it included footage from his popular motion picture The Freshman). The film, The Sin of Harold
Diddlebock, was a failure, and a later truncated version, Mad Wednesday (1950), did no better. In 1962
Lloyd produced a compilation film featuring scenes from his old comedies, Harold Lloyd's World of
Comedy. This and its sequel, The Funny Side of Life (1953), spurred a renewed interest in his work.
Lloyd's autobiography, An American Comedy, was published in 1928 and was later reissued. In 1952 he
received a special Academy Award hailing him as a "master comedian."
John Barrymoore

Barrymore, John (, originally John Blythe, known as the Great Profile)  1882 -- 1942  
Actor. Born February 14, 1882 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Brother of acting greats Ethel Barrymore and
Lionel Barrymore, he made his debut in 1903 and became a matinee idol. He triumphed as a stage Hamlet
in 1922, then turned to films and radio. Married four times, he caricatured his own decadent,
alcohol-ridden life in a series of minor comedies, including The Great Profile (1940).  
Miss Francis Elizabeth Caroline Willard

Nip #456
Francis Elizabeth Caroline Willard born in Churchville, New York on September 28, 1839 and died in New
York City on February 18, 1898. Her interest in the temperance movement began with the crusade that
swept the country in 1987, when bands of women invaded saloons to sin hymns and kneel in prayer.
After becoming president of the Chicago Women’s Christian Temperance Union she rose to head the
world organization in 1891. Meanwhile she put the organization behind the cause of woman’s suffrage
and helped to organize the Prohibition Party in 1882.
Moon Mullens

COAT TAIL OF Mr. Mullens.

Nip# 491
Pocket flask in the shape of a American Silver dollar with a octopus securing a strangle-hold on the
coin, milk glass, 4 ½” high, ground lip, original cap, perfect,  This flask refers to the conflict between the
railroads and the western cattleman and ranchers that occurred in the early 1900’s. The octopus
represents the organized power of the many-armed railroads and their ability to harm the financial
welfare of the ranchers. Sold October 30, 1987 for $1,000.00
Palmer Cox Brownies

The Albrecht Bros. Started their saloon business in Seattle sometime in 1899 at that time they were
located at 1424 First Avenue, they remained at this location into the year 1906. Then after buying David
Winchills saloon located at 122 Second street, they remained here into the year 1910. Thus dating these
122 Second  Street address nippers 1906-1910. In later years the business was moved around to several
locations under Albrecht & Thorpe through the year 1913. They were no longer listed after 1913.

Palmer Cox, the writer and illustrator of the Brownie stories, was born in Granby, Quebec on April 28,
1840. The area was populated by many Scottish people whose folklore would later influence his stories.
As a child he showed an interest in drawing and poetry.
Graduating from the Granby Academy in 1858, he moved south finding work finishing the woodwork used
in the interior of railroad cars. Later he and his brother Edwin worked as barn framers in Ontario. It is
said that Cox drew pictures on barn timbers during rest periods.
Heading west, he walked across the Isthmus of Panama en route arriving in Oakland, California in
January 1863. He stayed in California for about 13 years, becoming a United States citizen. After a period
building steamboats and railroad cars he moved to San Francisco, a literary center even then. He
entered into the city’s literary life contributing to several periodicals and in 1874 published his first book
Squibs of California, or Everyday Life. The book, based on his diary, contained stories, sketches and
poems. It was almost 500 pages and contained 183 illustrations.
In 1875 he relocated to New York in search of a literary career. After initial difficulties he became the
chief artist for Uncle Sam: The American Journal of Wit and Humor. Between 1875 and 1878 he published
three books, all written in verse and illustrated, and by the early 1880’s was writing for Wide Awake, a
children’s magazine. His work began to appear regularly in Harper’s Young People and St. Nickolas, an
important children’s periodical. Children’s literature seemed to be Cox’s calling.
The first Brownie story to appear in St. Nicholas was The Brownie’s Ride in February 1883. Twenty four
Brownie stories appeared between 1883 and 1887. In 1887 they were collected and published as The
Brownies, Their Book. Palmer Cox was 47 years old when this first Brownie book was published. In 1890
a second series of twelve stories from St. Nicholas were combined with twelve others and published as
Another Brownie Book. Cox began writing for the Ladies Home Journal and produced a series called The
Brownies Through the Year. In 1893 these were collected into a third book, The Brownies at Home. The
Brownie stories were light-hearted and fun for their readers. The Brownies engaged in activities
children could relate to and the stories often included current events. In all, twelve* Brownie books
were written.
By 1905 Cox had returned to Granby, Quebec living in a turreted house he had planned. The house was
called Brownie Castle and was said to be based on a castle he saw while traveling in the British Isles. He
died at Brownie Castle on July 24, 1924. His tombstone reads:

THEY were called "Brownies" on account of their color, which was said to be brown owing to their
constant exposure to all kinds of weather, and also because they had brown hair, something which was
not common in the country where the "Brownie" was located, as the people generally had red or black
hair. There are different stories about the origin of the name. One is that during the time the
Covenanters in Scotland were persecuted because they were said to teach a false and pernicious
doctrine, many of them were forced to conceal themselves in caves and secret places, and food was
carried to them by friends. One band of Covenanters was led by a little hunchback named Brown, who
being small and active could slip out at night with some of the lads and bring in the provisions left by
friends in secret places. They dressed themselves in a fantastic manner, and if seen in the dusk of the
evening they would be taken for fairies. Those who knew the truth named Brown and his band the
"Brownies." This is very plausible, but we have too high an opinion of the "Brownies" to believe that
they took their name from a mortal. We are inclined to believe that the well-deserving hunchback took
his name from the "Brownies," instead of the "Brownies" deriving their name from him. Besides the
story does not reach back far enough.

THE "Brownies" were an ancient and well-organized band long before there was a Covenanter to flee to
caves and caverns. Indeed, from what can be gathered from the writings of ancient authors, one is led
to believe the "Brownie" idea is a very old one. It is fair to presume that the "Brownies" enjoyed their
nightly pranks, or skipped over the dewy heather to aid deserving peasants even before the red-haired
Dane crossed the border to be Caledonia's unwelcome guest. Every family seems to have been haunted
by a spirit they called "Brownie" which did different sorts of work, and they in return gave him offerings
of the various products of the place. The "Brownie" idea was woven into the affairs of everyday life. In
fact it seemed to be part of their religion, and a large part at that. When they churned their milk, or
brewed, they poured some milk or wort through a hole in a flat, thin stone called "Brownie's stone." In
other cases they poured the offerings in the corner of the room, believing that good would surely come
to their homes if "the Brownies" were remembered. On out of the way islands, where the people could
neither read nor write, and were wholly ignorant of what was going on in other parts of the country, so
much so that they looked upon a person that could understand black marks on paper as a supernatural
being, the "Brownie" was regarded as their helper.
The poet Milton had doubtless one of these "Brownies" in his mind when he penned the lines in
"L'Allegro" to the "lubber fiend," who drudged and sweat
"To earn his cream-bowl duly set."
But, strange to say, he was not as complimentary as the untarnished reputation of the "Brownies" might
lead one to expect. In some villages, near their chapel, they had a large flat stone called "Brownie’s
stone," upon which the ancient inhabitants offered a cow’s milk every Sunday to secure the good-will of
the "Brownies." That the "Brownies were good eaters, and could out-do the cat in their love for cream,
is well proven in many places.
IT may be gratifying to some to know that even kings have not thought it beneath their dignity to dip the
royal pen in the "Brownies" behalf. King James in his "Demonology" says:" The spirit called 'Brownie'
appeared like a man and haunted divers houses without doing any evil, but doing as it were necessary
turns up and down the house, yet some were so blinded as to believe that their house was all the
sonsier, as they called it, that such spirits resorted there." Other writers say that the "Brownie" was a
sturdy fairy, who, if he was fed well and treated kindly would do, as the people said, a great deal of work.
He is said to have been obliging, and used to come into houses by night, and for a dish of cream
perform lustily any piece of work that might remain to be done.
The superstitious inhabitants had absolute faith in the "Brownies" wisdom or judgment. The "Brownie"
spirit was said to reach over the table and make a mark where his favorite was to sit at a game if he
wished to win, and this "tip" from the "Brownie" was never disregarded by the player.
THE seeker after facts concerning the origin of the "Brownies" will find it difficult to gather them in. He
may visit the largest libraries in the land and turn the leaves of old volumes that have been neglected
for centuries, and fail to find more than that at one time in the long long ago, the "Brownie" was a power
in the land that no well-regulated family could fail to do without. One thing is certain, however, the more
we learn about the "Brownies" the more we like them. Theirs is a genealogy that one can trace back
through the dusty centuries of the past without finding one blot on their scutcheon, or discovering that
they descended from a race of robbers or evil doers. It is indeed refreshing to learn that at a time when
the age was so dark that even Christianity could scarcely send a ray of light through it, and when every
man's hand seemed to be against his brother, when poachers, moss-troopers and plundering men of
might were denuding the land, the "Brownies" through rain and shine were found at their post every
night, aiding the distressed, picking up the work that weary hands let fall, and in many ways winning the
love and respect of the people.

Passed by Congress December 18, 1917. Ratified January 16, 1919. (Altered by Amendment 21)
After one year from the ratification of this article the manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating
liquors within, the importation thereof into, or the exportation thereof from the United States and all
territory subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.
The Congress and the several States shall have concurrent power to enforce this article by appropriate
This article shall be inoperative unless it shall have been ratified as an amendment to the Constitution
by the Legislatures of the several States, as provided in the Constitution, within seven years from the
date of the submission hereof to the States by the Congress.
Amendment XXI (Repeal of Prohibition) Passed by Congress February 20, 1933 Ratified December 5, 1933
Sidney Smith Cartoonist

Uncle Bim from the Andy Gump Comic Series.

Cartoonist Sidney Smith, creator of the Chicago Tribune's famed The Gumps comic strip.
The Gumps was the very first daily comic strip (begun in 1917), and the first "Mr. & Mrs." strip featuring
the comical antics of a married couple. At the height of its popularity in the 1930's The Gumps appeared
in 300 newspapers around the world, its creator having signed a million-dollar contract for its
syndication -- in the midst of the Great Depression.
And the first picture ever sent by facsimile was a line drawing of Andy Gump, in a demonstration by
radio station KPO in San Francisco, in 1925.
Sidney Smith, born in 1877, frequented his estate in Lake Geneva from 1922 until 1935. He was a
socialite and an avid golfer at the Chapel Hill Club to the south of Lake Geneva, where he organized a
local playoff dubbed "The Gump Club." Smith drove a bright yellow Deussenberg convertible coupe,
and one of his regular stops was a local speakeasy where prohibition whiskey ran freely (as described
in a story by Forrest Beck, titled "Beck's Garage".)
Andy Gump memorial to cartoonist Sidney Smith in Lake Geneva, WI/US.
At other times Smith traveled more broadly. An old article in the Daily Oklahoman describes him visiting
the 101 Ranch for the highly entertaining annual Terrapin Derby. Wherever he went he drew cartoons;
he drew them on the walls for lasting souvenirs. Andy Gump was a memorable character. His most
recognizable feature -- no chin -- eventually led to a 1978 dental surgery publication describing "The
Andy Gump fracture of the mandible," a cause of respiratory obstruction.
Smith's Gumps licensing ventures were very successful. Andy Gump graced songbooks, was featured
in board games, modeled in savings banks and Christmas lights. He was even fashioned into cookies
made by Sunshine Biscuit, Inc.
Sir John Falstaff

Nip #160
Sir John Falstaff, an English Knight, generally considered the greatest of Shakespeare’s comic
George McManus Cartoonist

Nip123 Kiss Snookums

Just as spinach and Popeye are always associated with one another, corned beef and hash and Jiggs
were inseparable in the funny pages.
In fact, Jiggs' "daddy" was also inseparable from the funny pages.
A cartoonist at 16, George McManus' first comic strip was not about Jiggs. It was about The Newlyweds
and Their Baby (1904- 1912). When McManus changed syndicates, he renamed the family oriented
feature Their Only Child. He abandoned it, however, when his masterpiece struck pay dirt. It would
reappear as Jiggs" co-feature in the 1930's as Snookums.
McManus' second strip didn't feature Jiggs either. In the short-lived Nibsy the Newsboy (1905- 1906) he
transformed New York City into a fairyland and street-wise parody of another famous strip, Little Nemo.
George McManus' masterpiece was Bringing Up Father (1916- ) and Jiggs, an Iris bricklayer who won
the Irish sweepstakes.
Bringing Up Father was a broad but gentle caricature of immigrants and the new rich in America.
Maggie, his snooty wife, played second fiddle to her immigrant, and despite all of her efforts to refine
him, she could never get the corned beef and hash out of Jiggs.
McManus' distinctive design influenced art was simple and powerful. (Patterns like checker- boards
and herringbone were everywhere). Even though Jiggs, Maggie and many of their friends looked like
shaved monkeys, it was not because McManus lacked artistic talent. He was a master cartoonist.
McManus' comic book work includes Bringing Up Father (Kin& 1917, Cupples & Leon, 1919-1934), The
Trouble of Bringing Up Father (Embee, 1921), Four Color #37 (Dell), and Large Feature Comic #9 (Dell).
His work has also appeared in many comic strip anthologies including The Smithsonian Collection of
Newspaper Comics.
...Father has continued with varying success beyond McManus' death in 1954.
The work of George McManus is very highly recommended.
Published over many years, some titles may be difficult to locate. A price guide or comics dealer will
help. Comic book shops, mail order companies, trade journals and comics conventions are best
sources. Prices vary widely; shop around.
-- Michael Vance

George McManus was born in St.Louis, Missouri on January 23, 1884. In 1900, when he was just 16
years old he became both the fashion editor and a cartoonist for the St.Louis Republic. At the Republic
he created "Alma & Oliver", his first comic strip.
He went to New York in 1904 and joined Joseph Pulitzer's "The World", where he would create several
different strips for the next eight years. These strips are largely forgotten, but a couple of them,
notably "Cheerful Charley" and "Panhandle Pete" are remembered for their wit. He also created a strip
in 1904 called "The Newlyweds" which he would revive several times over the next dozen years under
different titles, in part due to experimentation and in part to his leaving the World for Hearst's "Journal
American" in 1912.
At the Journal he created several other strips, and it would be these that he is most remembered for.
"Spareribs & Gravy" about a Mutt & Jeff team of world explorers, which was quite a funny strip; "Rosie's
Beau"; and finally the immortal "Bringing Up Father" starring the unflappable Maggie and the ever
mischievous Jiggs, which began in 1913 as an intermittent daily strip before establishing permanent
status in 1916. The first Sunday episode appearing on April 14, 1918.
Bringing Up Father was a conceptual burlesque of American life in the early part of this century. Maggie
was an ordinary washlady and Jiggs a mason when the couple wins the Irish sweepstakes and become
rich. Though Maggie's snobbery might have fit nicely into her mansion, Jiggs on the other hand never
pretended to be anything but a simple Irishman wanting to drink an ale at Dinty Moore's tavern and play
poker at his friend's home. These opposites quite frequently led to the tossing of a rolling pin at Jiggs'
head, and Jiggs' need to hide his many transgressions from his over vigilante wife.
McManus was a magnificent humorist, and his daily offerings were joys to read, but there was more to
this strip than humor! One of the most striking characteristics of the strip was the outstanding Art Deco
backgrounding. Large chandeliers, flowing staircases, modernist designs and fabulous decorations
were placed carefully throughout, and if you looked closely at the pictures on the walls you could see
the characters within them moving and changing.
The resulting combinations of art, design and wit made Bringing Up Father one of the most popular
comic strips of all time and appeared on the first page of Hearst's comic section for many years. It is
reported to be the first comic strip that achieved fame worldwide.
In the 1920's, a play called "Father" made a tour of the country and McManus played the lead character
in some of it's productions.
In the forties, McManus turned over most of the artistic chores over to cartoonist Vern Greene, the
former artist of the Shadow daily strip and brother of DC comic artist Sid Greene.
McManus died October 22, 1954 in Santa Monica, California
Texas Shield & Flag

State of Texas Lone Star Flag {milk glass} This is a very rare or scarce Nipper